CSE228F, Spring 2000: Multimedia Systems
- Representation of Image, Audio and Video Data
- Principles of Image, Audio and Video Compression
- File Systems for Multimedia Information
- Principles of Audio/Video Networking
- Multimedia Information Servers
- Multimedia Database Systems
Class Hours: MW 10:10-11:30 at SDSC Room 116
Wednesday May 31st Class starts at 9:00 am
Office Hours: MW 11:30-12:30 at SDSC Room 261 (or by appointment)
Slides and/or Notes
- Introduction: Multimedia and Multimedia Systems, Engineering Issues [ppt]
- Basics of Compression: Unconstrained and constrained-length Huffman encoding, Golomb-Rice encoding, Lossless JPEG [ppt]
- Basics of Compression: JPEG-LS standard, LZW encoding and GIF, Network-aware compression [ppt]
- Basics of Compression: Lossy Compression, JPEG-standard, JPEG 2000 proposal [ppt]
- Video Compression [ppt]
- The MPEG standard [ppt]
- MPEG-4 standards [ppt]
- Multimedia Servers [ppt]
- Multimedia Servers: Service Models, Vertical Striping in Fellini [ppt]
- Multimedia Servers: Horizontal Striping in Fellini [ppt]
Answer to Problem 1: T1, T2 have periods 6 and 8 and two subtasks each, and are distributed over 4 disks. Start them at 0 and 1 respectively.
Answer to Problem 2: T1, T2, T3 have periods 6, 8 and 8 and two subtasks each, and are distributed over 4 disks. Start them at 0, 1 and 3 respectively.
- Managing VBR Video traffic: Bandwidth Smoothing Techniques [ppt]
- A. Eleftheriadis and D. Anastassiou, "Optimal Data Partitioning of MPEG-2 Coded Video", IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, to be published.
- M.R. Izquierdo and D.S. Reeves, "A Survey of Statistical Models for Variable-bit-rate Compressed Video", ACM Multimedia Systems Journal, 7, 1999, 199-213.
- B. Ozden, A. Biliris, R. Rastogi and A. Silberschatz,"A Disk-based Storage Architecture for Movie on Demand Servers", Information Systems Journal , 6, 1995, 465-482.
- S. Ramanathan and P.V. Rangan, "Adaptive Feedback Techniques for Synchronized Multimedia Retrieval over Integrated Networks", IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, 1, 1993, 243-260.
- N. Shivakumar, C, Sreenan, B. Narendran and P. Agarawal, "The Concord Algorithm for Synchronization of Multimedia Streams", Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia Systems , Washington, 1995.
- J.C. Pasquale, G.C. Polyzos and G. Xylomenos, "The Multimedia Multicasting Problem", ACM Multimedia Systems Journal, 6, 1998, 43-59.
- H.M. Vin, P. Goyal, A. Goyal and A. Goyal, "A Statistical Admission Control Algorithm for Multimedia Servers", Proc. ACM Multimedia Conference San Francisco, 1994, 33-40.
- P. Shenoy and H.M. Vin, "Efficient Support for Interactive Operations in Multiresolution Video Servers", ACM Multimedia Systems Journal , 7, 1999, 241-253.
- P. Bocheck, A. Campbell, S.F. Chang and R. Liao, "Content-aware Network Adaptation for MPEG-4", Proc. NOSSDAV 99 New Jersey, 1999.
- F. Nack and A.T. Lindsay, "Everything you wanted to know about MPEG-7" (distributed in class), IEEE Multimedia Magazine, 6, Nos.3,4, 1999.
- Mid Term: 20%
- Final: 30%
- Assignments: 15%
- Project: 35%
Last modified: Tue May 30 10:32:19 PDT 2000