Poly2Vista is a MEL utility created for writing out poly object info (vertex and normals) from Maya to a text file. The output file could be used with Vista (a command line volume renderer) and Mesh Viewer (an interactive volume renderer) for slicing of volumes in a desirable manner.
Windows, Linux, Mac; Maya 6.0+ (untested for earlier versions)
To download, right click on a link below and choose "Save Target As" or "Save Link As".
Poly2Vista-0.3 (9 kb) Last updated: Aug 31th 2005
- Polygons only (No NURBS, No Subdivision)
Please email your comments to Amit Chourasia
- Download and save Poly2Vista-0.3.mel
- Open Script Editor - In Maya go to Window > General Editors > Script Editor
- In Script Editor go to File > Source Script > Poly2Vista-0.3.mel (browse to folder where you saved the downloaded file)
Use the screenshot for a close-up of the following steps; mouseover or click for a larger image.
- Select one or more objects (The object should be of type polygon)
- Choose output setup (Step 2 in screenshot)
- Write a point and a normal per face = vtx+norm (Default)
- Write 3 points (vertices) per face = 3 vtx
- Write all vertices and vertex normals = all(vtx+norm)
- Save Clip File at desired location ".clp" would be appended to the typed filename (Step 3 in screenshot)
- Poly objects in Maya should fit in bounding box for corresponding volume dimension.
- If you have questions, you may roll over the buttons for tool tips.