- Housing and Hotels
- Driving Directions
- Accommodations for Supported Students:
Parking, Housing, Travel Reimbursement
Housing and Hotels
There are many hotels within walking and driving distance of SDSC. Please see the SDSC Visitor's Information page for a list of hotels. Contact the hotels directly for rates and availability, since we do not make those arrangements, and there is no special conference rate. If you are a participant who has been accepted to receive housing support, see the Supported Housing section below.
Attendees who did not receive support, but who wish to stay on campus in shared housing at their own expense, must reserve space via email to Linda Surrey by June 15 and must send a check with payment in advance by June 22 to keep their space. On-campus housing (shared with other attendees) is for registered conference attendees only. If you wish to bring family members, please make arrangements for a hotel. For a description of on-campus housing, see the section below on Supported Housing.
All attendees receive refreshments at two breaks, lunch each day, and the reception dinner at no cost. Supported students and attendees who are staying in on-campus housing also receive breakfast and dinner.
SDSC is near the north end of the UCSD campus in La Jolla. From Interstate 5, take the La Jolla Village Drive exit west. Continue through three traffic lights, the third of which is Torrey Pines Road, where La Jolla Village Drive will curve to the north (toward the right) and become North Torrey Pines Road. See map. Continue north to Pangea Drive. (If you have reached Glider Port Rd or Genessee, you have gone too far.) Turn right on Pangea Dr., and park in the Pangea Parking Structure on the left.
The Eleanor Roosevelt College (ERC) Conference Desk is located north of the parking structure in the ERC Student Activities Center. This is the location to obtain parking permits and to register for on-campus housing. To go directly to the Summer Institute at SDSC, go up the hill from parking structure to Ridge Walk and go left. There will be a sign in front of SDSC.
ERC Conference Desk message phone number: 858.534.1142 (number active June 21st to Sept. 3rd).
The Pangea Parking Structure is the closest lot to SDSC and to on-campus housing. It is also a good drop-off point if you are coming by shuttle from the airport. Permits are required five (5) days a week, Monday - Friday, from 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Permits are not required on the weekends. Permits are available at ERC or at the parking kiosks at the north and south end of the campus. Park in student spaces only, which are marked with a yellow S; place permit in the front window of your car immediately to avoid a ticket.
Accommodations for Supported Students
Students who have been accepted for support through the conference are provided with housing, parking, and travel reimbursements as described below. A form will be sent to supported registrants with contact information about where to book your flight and to obtain dietary and housing preferences. Fax the completed form to Linda Surrey, 858.822.0948.
Housing for Supported Students
Shared housing will be provided at no cost for attendees whose application for support has been accepted. This provision is for attendees from outside the larger San Diego metropolitan area (San Diego County).
- Location: UCSD Campus, Eleanor Roosevelt College (ERC) Apartments.
- Dates: July 15-20 (Institute is July 16-20, 2007). The Summer Institute adjourns after lunch of the last day, so please arrange to depart on that day.
- Extensions: Staying beyond the end date of the Institute is at the attendee's expense. SDSC does not make these arrangements. SDSC will cover one-day extensions in student housing—approved on a on a case-by-case basis—if needed because of flight connections.
- Hotel information on SDSC Visitor's Information page
- ERC Conference Desk voicemail: 858.534.1142 (number active June 21th to Sept. 3rd, office open from 7:30 to midnight)
- Accommodations: Each apartment has three (3) bedrooms with a central living area. You will be sharing the apartment with other Institute attendees. Your key must be returned to the registration desk upon checking out.
Participants who lose apartment keys must pay a $100 replacement fee.
Housing is for registered student attendees only. We do not pay for housing for family members or friends, nor are non-attendees allowed to stay in the UCSD apartments on the floor, couch, etc. Please visit the SDSC Visitor information page for hotel and related information.
- Smoking: UCSD does not permit smoking in any indoor facility including residence halls and apartments.
- Housekeeping: Daily housekeeping includes: trash removal, cleaning of kitchen and bathrooms, change of towels and linen, and making of beds. Dishes are not cleaned by the housekeeping staff.
- TV/Telephone: Each apartment has a TV and telephone; a calling card is needed for long distance. Each bedroom has a desk lamp, fan, and other amenities.
- Internet Access: Wireless internet is available throughout the campus, including in the apartments. It is free of charge during the days of the conference only. You will be able to connect to the SDSC wireless system while you are in the SDSC building. For access outside SDSC, you will need to connect through UCSD Academic Computing Services. You will receive connection information at the beginning of the conference. Please contact ERC Housing upon arrival if you wish to pay for internet connectivity before or after the conference. This charge will not be reimbursed.
Parking for Supported Students
The cost of parking is included as part of on-campus housing. (Participants not staying in provided housing must purchase a parking permit at the registration desk.) Permits are required five (5) days a week, Monday - Friday, from 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Permits are not required on the weekends. Permits are available at the ERC Conference Desk at check in.
Park in student spaces only - marked with a yellow S; place permit in your car immediately to avoid a ticket.
Meals for Supported Students
In addition to lunches that are provided for all workshop attendees, breakfast and dinner are provides for supported students at no charge. This also applies for non-supported students who are staying at ERC on-campus housing at their own expense.
Travel Reimbursement for Supported Students
UCSD will reimburse for specified travel expenses, with proper documentation.
For full reimbursement, mail all receipts in a single envelope to Linda Surrey within 14 days of end of conference. Do not hand receipts in each day during the conference.
9500 Gilman Drive, M/C 0505
La Jolla, CA 92093-0505
(If you do not require any reimbursement, please contact Linda Surrey, email@example.com.)
- Original receipts: Only original receipts for allowed travel expenses may be submitted.
- Air: Please use Balboa Travel to book your flight; they will e-mail your itinerary to SDSC automatically. Book early for best fare ($500 maximum reimbursement; you must use your own credit card for charges in excess of maximum). If you do not use Balboa and book your own flight, please submit your air itinerary to Linda Surrey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Shuttle/Taxi: Please provide a receipt to Linda Surrey.
- Driving: The University will reimburse 0.485 per mile. Linda Surrey will create a MapQuest route from the address you provide to the University and then double those miles. Please submit the following:
- A statement of your actual mileage.
- Make/model/year of your car
- License number
- Statement of liability insurance
We do not pay for car rentals.
- Train: Please provide Linda Surrey with the paid receipt.