Using Globus Online Sharing at SDSC
Note: The Globus Sharing configurations described below are valid for both Gordon and Trestles.
- Account and allocation on SDSC XSEDE resources – Gordon, Trestles
- Globus account: Users can set themselves up with an account at:
- Globus Plus Subscription: Users have two options to obtain a subscription:
- Request SDSC for a plus subscription. Users with active Data Oasis allocations are eligible.
- Buy a personal plus subscription on the Globus website. Users can request a trial account if they wish to test these features.
Instructions for setting up sharing
- Login to the Globus website.
- Set up your sharing locations on Gordon and/or Trestles. This can be done either on the Globus website by opening the endpoint for Gordon (xsede#gordon) or Trestles (xsede#trestles) from the start transfer location
by logging in directly to one of the SDSC XSEDE resources (Gordon, Trestles) and creating the location for sharing.
For security purposes, the locations are restricted to:
/oasis/projects/nsf/gpname/$USER/sharedon Gordon or Trestles
Note here that the
gpnamerefers to the allocation group, for example
- Click on the Transfer Files tab. Note: If you already logged into the Globus website, you can find the Transfer Files link under the Quick Links tab).
- Choose one of the SDSC XSEDE endpoints (
xsede#trestles) and hit go:
- Change the path to your chosen data sharing location and hit go:
- Create a subdirectory in this location. This will be shared as an endpoint. Multiple subdirectories can be created and shared as different endpoints. You can also share a directory that is already in this location (i.e. you don't have to create a new one every time):
- Change directories to the newly created directory by double clicking on the folder in the transfer window.
- Enable sharing by clicking on the share option:
- Clicking on share will give you a window that lets you add a shared endpoint. Click on the Add Shared Endpoint button:
This will give you a window that lets you define the endpoint name, and further configure the sharing options (you can leave the defaults in place for them). Please do not use dashes in the endpoint name, as the
httplinks will not work with dashes.
- Once you click on the Create and Manage Access button, the endpoint is set up. You can control access in the next window that appears:
You can enter the Globus User or Group name of people (who you want to give access to) if you already know them, choose the appropriate permissions and click on the add button. Otherwise, click on the search button to look for users/groups on Globus.
- Close the Manage Shared Endpoint window once you are done configuring (click on the x). At this point the endpoint is set up and can be accessed by people you allow via the configuration.
You can create groups to control sharing permissions.
- Click on the Groups Tab:
- Click on the create new group link
- Give the group a name and set privacy permissions:
- Click on the newly created group; management tabs will show up. Click on the Members tab to invite users to the group.
- You can invite users using their email (preferred to avoid accidently adding unknown users) or their globus online names.
- Once the users accept the invitation, you have to acknowledge that in the same place. At this point the users will be part of the group. You can give group level permissions at this point.
Sharing with Private Users
If a user chooses to make their Globus account private, you will not be able to find them to allow sharing. If this is the case, you will need to add them to a group (send invite via email) and then give share permissions.
Common Errors and Helpful Links
You may experience some problems...