CIF - The Goals Behind Creating the mmCIF Dictionary
Last Update Nov. 08, 1995
- Every field of every PDB record type should be represented.
- All features present in the materials and methods section of
a structure oriented journal should be represented i.e.
crystallization conditions, crystal morphology, diffraction experiment,
phasing methodology, and refinement details.
- The biologically active molecule should be fully described.
- Any interesting structural subcomponent should be fully described.
- hkl data (including that collected at different wavelengths)
should be fully described.
- NMR data should be included only in so far as it is included in the PDB
- A higher order structure description was considered beyond the scope
of v1.0 of the dictionary. That is, nothing beyond secondary structure is
- Cannonical and non-cannonical groups are described.
- Links to other data resources should be provided.
- Appropriate 3-D views and 2-D chemical diagrams should be defined.